Monday, September 3

Extremely loud and incredibly close- a book I am trying to read

So among all books I have read, I would say this book "Extremely loud and incredibly close" is the weirdest। A strange way of depicting the emotions and sentiments of a young boy who lost his father in the 9/11 attack. Oskar Schell is on an inspiring mission to all the five burroughs of Newyork (at least that is what the it says on the cover!) I cannot imagine how much time it took for this author to write a book such as this- what sort of thoughts and emotions did he have to go through before writing every page of this book.
Anyway I could not read it beyond about 100 pages (reading a book was never such a torment), so returned it to the library actually even before the due date (come on y'all that hardly happens!
The reason for me being persistent with "Extremely loud" was this other book- I went through an I-cannot-read-this phase...it was A.S.Byatt's "The Game". For about a year I would start the book , read it until a particular page (it was always around the same page quite surprisingly) and drop it...after about 3-4 trials...not only did I manage to finish it but infact I loved the book. Well, that did not happen with "Extremely loud".
So, if you have already read through this weird book...then I guess I would have to put you in the category of strange people with stranger tastes!
Ciao
Happy reading!

3 comments:

vashok said...

I guess its no more a book you are trying to read...Its a book you gave up upon!

Kavitha said...

Aren't people done capitalising on the 9/11 attacks yet?? Come on already! I don't know which is worse - some countries' gross ignorance of events that could possibly be termed national tragedies or some others' non-stop reminders of similar ones.

vashok said...

Whats wrong with non-stop reminders (except that Bush got reelected on account of them) when these reminders serve as the driving force to ward off future attacks...The United States must be doing something right as far as warding such attacks are concerned coz look at other places which are under similar levels of threat (like U.K and Spain and even India) and compare the number of deadly attacks there to here!!!

The US might be overdoing its share of rememberance...but definitely it is doing SOMETHING RIGHT...