Tuesday, July 2

The postdoc paradox

Where do I see myself in 5 years...

In my view, those who can answer this question, even with a broader intent, are the ones who succeed.

This is a question that has been playing over and over in my head for a few days, now that my love of research is dwindling to the point that there are times when I downright unhappy. This metamorphosis was a long time coming and it does pain me- because all said and done I am a bloody good scientist!

So why did you do a PhD then, you ask? Well, back in those days a) I could not be pulled away from the bench (no sir not for any reason); b) I would obsess about it; c) I would talk incessantly about it and d) most of all I was extremely passionate about it (Note the choice of past tense).

Those who have known me for a while now would nod in disbelief if I tell them that I am thinking about quitting research. Better believe it guys!

To me the biggest problem is that I would probably either be one among many scientists who are just a-okay or I would be a complete failure (which is where I am headed right now- given that nothing has been working the last few years). While the fear of failure does not stop me from doing what I like doing best, fear of being one among many does (arrogant you say- what is wrong with a bit of professional arrogance, I ask?). So it is mostly a personal decision.

Interestingly, I am seeing this disconnect between real-life and the imaginary job market situation (all of us postdocs finding a cushy tenure-track position). Most of us have been drilled into our heads that there is no job better than academia on planet earth (I might agree to this to a certain degree). In reality, even if you pass a certain threshold and enter the top echelons of postdocs (wildly successful ones-the stars), there is still no guarantee that you will find that dream job (at that level how are the search committee members going to decide anyway- think about it).

I was taken by surprise when it dawned on me that most of my fellow postdocs do not have a plan B. But what happens when you do not get into academia- what choices does one you have? Some people just moan and moan, while few others find an industry position. But this is where everything goes haywire- everyone including the postdocs, the Universities, the PIs throw their hands up in the air as though the world is nearing its end.


Paula_Stephan_Biological_Sciences_PhDs.PNG
Graph generated by Paula Stephan of Georgia State University
Source: Atlantic

A 2009 NSF survey found that only 14% of lifescience PhD land the most-coveted, oh-so-glamorous tenure track positions. The plan B pharma jobs are also on the decline (I mean who is to blame given the global economy madness). It is time PIs and institutions started to give this a great deal of thought to come up with ways to help the postdocs out (after all you are our mentors).

If you are a great researcher who is still passionate about research after 4 yrs of undergrad, 6 yrs of grad school and 5-10 yrs of postdoc - by all means academia is for you. But if you being to have slightest of doubts- I say prepare for the eventuality and be smart about the decisions you make (towards end of grad school) that will land you yet another great job ( I was anything but smart about it).


Other references
Washington Post 
Bruce Alberts article

No comments: